by Aaron Harris
Take Action ›
Sign the petition: Students and their families deserve fair immigration reform now. Click here ›
The Senate Judiciary Committee has begun “marking up” the Border Security, Economic Opportunity and Immigration Modernization Act of 2013 (S. 744), the comprehensive immigration reform bill from the bipartisan Gang of Eight. NEA believes the bill represents a serious plan and a step in the right direction to fix our broken immigration system. More than 300 amendments have been filed, setting the stage for weeks of committee action followed by floor votes. NEA-supported amendments would:
- Put all qualified children, including “Little DREAMers,” on the DREAM Act’s five-year pathway to citizenship.
- Help keep kids safe during Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) raids.
The United States is a nation of immigrants and how we treat new immigrants reflects our commitment to the values that define us. NEA continues to urge Congress to:
- Enact and expand the DREAM Act and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA).
- Preserve the unity of families, traditional and nontraditional.
- Create a realistic path to citizenship for the 11 million aspiring citizens who call America home.
TAKE ACTION TODAY!
- E-mail Congress or call 1-866-632-6057 or 1-866-NEA-6057 — Tell your Senators and Representative you support comprehensive immigration reform.
- Sign the petition – Students and their families deserve fair immigration reform now